NSS- National Service Scheme
NSS is an Indian Government sponsored public service program conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. of India. The aim of NSS is to facilitate the development of student’s personality through community service. It arouses social consciousness among the youth. It is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, University and +2 level working for a campus-community linkages.
NSS was initiated in Sunbeam College for Women, Bhagwanpur to provide a platform to the students for community work and developing a sense of involvement in the tasks of nation building. A variety of activities are organized every year to channelize the energy of the young generation in creative pursuits. Students educate public regarding health issues, sanitation etc. in the society. Regular Health camp and cleanliness drive are organized across campus and nearby slum areas to create awareness and motivate people to work towards a clean environment.
The Motto of NSS “Not Me But You”
1. To understand the community in which they work
2. To understand themselves in relation to their community
3. To identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving
4. To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
5. To utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
6. To develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
7. To gain skills in mobilizing community participation
8. To acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
9. To develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
10. To practice national integration and social harmony